Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tumblr-ing Down the Rabbit Hole


I should be an archaeologist, cause I love making new discoveries. And yesterday I made two amazing ones.


First of all, do you notice anything different here today? Perhaps something new in the side bar?

That's right, there seems to be some sort of a mini-blog feed in the sidebar. This is the result of both my awesome discoveries. Let me tell you all about them...

The other day I got an email from Twitter telling me that some new person is following my feed. As I usually do, I proceeded to check out this new person. And again, as I usually do, I clicked on this persons webpage just to see what they're all about. This is where I found something different. Instead of being taken to this persons company page or traditional blog, it took me to their Tumblr blog. What's a Tumblr blog you may ask (I know, because that's what I did)?

I can only describe Tumblr as a mirco-blogging site. It's not mirco-blogging like Twitter, but more of an actual scaled down blog to put up quick, random, small posts. It seems to interact very easily with mediums like audio, links, pictures and videos. It make's them easy to link to or upload, and then gives you space to write a caption to go along with whatever you just posted. This will come in really handy for when I want to share a link I just found, or a video or whatever, without having to make a full big blog post for it. I'm also fairly sure people can subscribe to Tumblr sites using RSS too.


The second thing I discovered, is what allowed me to feed my Tumblr blog into my sidebar here. I found something called a Blidget. My basic understanding of this device is that you can essentially make a mini-feed for any of your blogs that you can then embed into another blog or website. All I had to do was type my Tumblr blogs URL into a box, then it made the widget for me. I got to customize how I wanted it to look and what I wanted it to show, and four mins after I found it, I had a mini-blog stream ready to be placed inside my larger blog. 

Now it's like two-blogs-in-one!

Enjoy. I know I will.

PS- here's a good song:




40deuce

blog comments powered by Disqus