Sunday, February 1, 2009

When Will the UFC Meet the ACC?


I'm a big fan of watching guys beat the shit out of each other. It's even better when it's a sanctioned fight and not just two dudes outside a bar (although I enjoy watching that as well). I even considered going to Montreal last year to watch UFC's first ever fight in Canada.


Unfortunately, it was really hard to get tickets to that, and I didn't go. But not for a lack of trying.

We wanted to go to Montreal because they allow fights there, while here in Ontario, the sport is not allowed.

Anyways, last night while I was watching Georges St. Pierre fight BJ Penn, I heard Joe Rogan mention something interesting. He said that GSP was named the Canadian Athlete of the Year for 2008.

After a quick google search I found out that it's true. Don't believe me? Check here.

With that said, it made me want to know when the Ontario government will change their mind and allow the UFC to come and hold events here? If GSP is the Canadian athlete of the year, that must mean that ALL of Canada voted him in, not just Montreal.

There's obviously a market for the sport all across the country. The sport has gained so much popularity over the past few years, and other markets across North America are starting to see that MMA is a real sport and not just dudes beating the crap out of each other (although technically it's both). I want the Ontario government to realize this as well.

Dana White, owner of the UFC, said that he will be making a big campaign on Ontario to sanction the sport this year.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed.




40deuce

blog comments powered by Disqus