Friday, January 16, 2009

The Straw That Broke Me on the York U Strike


Technically, I don't go to York University.


However, I still have been affected by the strike, I just tried not to let it get to me. Until yesterday, when I finally had it.

A little background first. I go to Seneca College. My campus just happens to be a building on the York University campus grounds. Sometime in November the TA's and other support staff at York University decided to go on strike. 

This really only affected me because I take public transit to school and the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission), being a union themselves, will not cross another unions picket lines. That means that I have to get dropped off outside the campus and take a 7-10 min. trek into my school everyday instead of getting dropped of right in front of the doors.

Sure it pissed me off a bit with it being winter and all, but I sucked it up and took the walk.

Yesterday I snapped though.

On my long walk in from off campus, across a big field where the wind picks up and blows hard, on the coldest day of the winter (it was something like -30C), I get to where the picketers should be, and there's no one there!

They decided that maybe it's too cold to picket?? That's bullshit. I still had to walk into the school because they're on strike, and they're not even out there picketing cause it's a little chilly outside??? 

If they wanted to be inside and warm, they should stop crying, suck it up and go back to work. But instead, I had to suffer getting frost bitten  on the tip of my nose, and they stayed home and drank hot chocolate????

Now, I've never been much of a union supporter, but I never said anything bad against these guys either, until now. Yesterday made me sick, and so do the York TA's. It's been over 2 months of striking for ridiculous reasons. People are losing their educations. I'm freezing my ass off.

It's enough already!!

blog comments powered by Disqus